Thursday, March 14, 2013

1.1 - First Day

The family awoke in a dreamy daze. It was strange waking up in a brand new bedroom, a brand new house, and a brand new town. No one knew what to expect of the city. The people back home were pompous and distant but they held a sort of appealing charm and eloquence that made someone overlook the superficial demeanor.  Would the people here be just as fake or would they be very hospitable and genuine?

There was no time to worry about the quality of people living here. Every member of the family needed to find a job as soon as possible. Almost every penny was spent on the move. It is lucky genies can summon food or else the family would be completely broke. 

Wendy signed up to be a journalist, just like her father. Because he was so renowned, Russel was bumped up the ladder to a reporter. Even Summer got a job as a receptionist at the local spa.
Bessie was not as lucky. When she called City Hall to offer her political expertise, they claimed the only open position they had was a lowly ballot counter. Bessie was not a ballot counter. She was supposed to a mayor or president. However, politics was all she knew and that family desperately needed every penny they could earn, so Bessie sucked up her pride and took the job.She took her frustration out the only way she knew how. Exercise.
On the other side of town, Summer had finished her first day of school. It wasn't too bad but unlike her old school, there was no art class for her to express herself in. So, after school, she headed over to the Art Museum.
"It's so beautiful." She whispered to herself. "Such warmth and tenderness in a cold metal shell."

"I know you are but what am I?" laughed a boy. 

Summer flipped around in surprise. "Um...Hello?" she said faintly as her eyes darted toward the ground.

"I didn't mean to frighten you," he smiled "My name is Cole Grove."
"I saw you drawing in class today and was wondering if you had heard about our after school art club."

Summer smiled a moment and answered, "No, I uh didn't know."

"Well you should totally drop by I'd love to check you out."

Summer giggled quietly

"Your work I mean, I'd love to check out your work."
"I'll see what I can do." Summer lied. She knew she would never be able to make it. Her new job started right after school and there is no way she could quit. She needed a job now if she was going to save up enough to move out soon.

"Great! I'll see you there!" Cole grinned. "Bye Summer."

"Where have you been! Do you realize what time it is?!" Bessie shouted.
"I'm sorry mother, I went to the Art Museum and lost track of time."
 "Lost track of time? You have a cell phone! There is no way you can 'lose track' of time! What were you doing at the museum anyway? 
" I was just looking at the art! Then this boy from school..."

"Boy! We have been here one day and you're already out on a date like some little floozy?!"
" I am not a floozy and it wasn't a date! He wanted to let me know about the art club because he could tell I like art and he only just met me! You gave birth to me and you probably don't even know what my favorite color is!"
"That doesn't matter! What matters is that you are going to bring shame to our family and I can't have that! If we are going to be somebody here, we can't have a delinquent daughter!"

"I am NOT a delinquent!"

"I have had enough of this. Summer Rain go to your room. You will go to school, go to work, and then come straight home. No exceptions."
Summer stormed into her room and slammed the door. She was exhausted but instead of sleeping she picked up her paintbrush and let her emotions slide onto canvas.








5 comments:

  1. Oh lovely dysfunctional families. : ) The Random Legacy staple

    Summer's really pretty. I love her hair style and colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoy the legacy so far. I was extremely nervous because writing one is not as easy as I expected.

      Summer has her father's hair color, but we haven't seen him enough to tell.

      Delete
  2. Summer is really pretty! And Bessie is a nutcase, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bessie is a little intense. Summer is really cute. I hope her mom learns to back off a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a controlling mother! It doesn't matter if she doesn't know her daughter's favorite color? And she's a floozy for even mentioning talking to a boy? o.O Poor Summer!

    ~Margaret Pendragon

    ReplyDelete