Monday, April 8, 2013

1.12 - Daddy

The winter days drew on and life was moving at a steady pace. Manu was doing great in school and Jessie was just toddling along. Summer had been working non-stop on her artwork and had finally mastered painting. Things had been running smoothly, but when Christmas hit, things got hectic.

Summer put all of the children's furniture in storage for the day and rented some seating. She was almost done when Jessie decided to grow up. Manu really didn't notice, he was too busy reading about cute alien superheroes.
He did notice when she sat next to him.

"You don't even tell me happy birthday? What a jerk." she sneered

Manu glanced at his sister and then looked back at his comic. "Happy birthday."
When the doorbell rang, Summer ran downstairs and greeted Cole. She was excited to see him again but his presence left a lump in her throat.

"Cole. Where have you been? Why did it take so long for you to answer me."

"I was busy, Summer. I'm fighting in a war. I don't have time to check my phone every minute. It isn't my first priority."
"Well I hope you change your mind. You have a daughter Cole. Her name is Jessie Belle and she is in the room behind you. I hope she becomes a major priority to you. I want her to have a father, Cole."

"I told you everything would be alright Summer. I'm here now, aren't I?"
Summer nodded. "Yes, but I'm not done discussing this."

"Alright. We can discuss it tonight. I have something to tell you too."

Cole stepped into the 'living room' and was immediatly nervous. Across from his stood a little girl. His little girl. She had her mother's hair but her grandfather's skin. A very light version but it was the same skin. Cole watched her for a moment. How was he supposed to start this? Hi, I'm your dad. I know you don't know me but we can be friends. Ya, thats a good idea.
Turns out, he didn't have to start the conversation.

"So you must be my dad." she said softly.

Cole tried to respond but Jessie stopped him.

"How could you just leave my mom her alone! Parents are supposed to be together! Why did you leave?"
Cole was shocked and speechless. He had never been intimidated by a child but this girl, she had spunk.
"You never call my mom and she sits here looking worried. You never come home and you never help us out!" Jessie fumed. "I have no idea what she sees in you. You just seem like you want nothing to do with us. Why don't you just leave? Just leave like all the other times."
"You obviously don't love me or my mom. Just leave us alone." Jessie started to cry.
 Cole felt his heart sink. He was not a good father and he had done Summer wrong too. 

"Jessie Belle? I'm sorry. I never wanted to hurt you or your mother. I was young and didn't want to be tied down, but I know I was wrong. I do love you. You are beautiful. How could I not?"
"I promise I will be here for you once I come home. I will be a father to you and your brother. I am so sorry Jessie. Can you ever forgive me?"

Jessie stared up at her father. She had the choice of turning him away or actually having a father who would love her and help her family be happy.

"I guess I can. I mean it's not like you chose to leave. The army told you to. I can forgive you if you promise me one thing before you leave..."

She whispered something in his ear and Cole nodded. 

"I was already planning on that, kiddo."
The time came to open the presents. Everyone sat down and shared stories until Jessie Belle became impatient and opened the first present she saw. It was from her brother and inside was...some trading card? How lame.
They went around and everyone opened their presents. Manu got an entire series of cute alien girl comics from his mom. 
After presents, Summer gave the kids their final present. A new bunk bed! Also, Cole had snuck in a surprise for his daughter. She now had a giant collection of stuffed animals.

Leaving the kids to play with their toys, the grown-ups went upstairs.

"Cole...I am so mad at you right now. Do you realize how hard it is to raise two kids by yourself? I never even got a phone call. I have missed you so much but I can't do this alone!"
Cole sighs, "I know, but you have done a wonderful job. Our daughter is amazing even though she does have your...temper. I am so sorry you had to raise her alone. If I could have quit, I would have. She is my responsibility."

"Cole, I want to know. What happened to us? When we were young we were so happy! Then, all of a sudden you changed. You were so distant. It was like you didn't even care anymore."
"I've always cared for you Summer. I was just overwhelmed. I never expected to fall in love so soon and I didn't want to give up my life. I was so young. I wanted to see the world before I had to settle down in one place for the rest of my life. I'm so sorry I ran. But Summer..."

Cole got down on one knee and held out a box.

"I won't run anymore."
Summer pulled him up and gave him a hug. 

"Cole! I will marry you! I will!"
"We can have a ceremony on the beach next weekend and we can invite your parents! I have to get a new dress.." Summer rambled on about wedding plans.
"Summer, when I get back we can do whatever you like. But I do have one more term. I'm on contract."

Summer frowned.

"It's only one more season. It's almost over."
"But in a season Manu will be a teenager and Jessie might be too! How can I raise teens without you?"

"You can do it and you will do an amazing job."

He reached for her and pulled her into a kiss.
"It will all work out," he soothed "now let's go to bed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So ya, Jessie has her grandfather's skin tone. It is still really pale in game but oh well. Here is a picture of her grandfather:
Sweet ride...



8 comments:

  1. Cole's stepping up more than I'd expected him to, good for him! Those dice rolls, though...his next tour might be dangerous. :\

    I love Jessie's hair. She really is a little argumentative rebel though. That'll be good for Summer to deal with, seeing as she has two more kids. Manu was too well-behaved.

    I laughed at "cute alien girl comics." I haven't explored the comic shop yet, is that really what they're called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comic is actually called something along the lines of 'soandso the cute alien' it has cute alien in it! I can't remember the actual name but it's close. Haha

      Manu is a genius and very well behaved. Jessie, she is an evil child. I love it.

      Delete
  2. Cole's reaction was much better than I thought it would be, but by my calculations one more season in the military won't leave enough time for him to be able to move in - I hope nothing bad happens to him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm agreeing with the others, Cole has really stepped up, but there's not enough time in that season for him to move in. Meaning, something bad is gunna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He might have stepped up....but I still don't trust him. I like Jessie Belle, though. AND her spunk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm glad that Cole is planning on being there for them as soon as he's able to get out of the military. We'll see how well he does in practice though. It is easy to say it, harder to do it, lol

    His first introduction to Jessie Belle was funny, she sure threw him off! The girl has gumption, lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dunno, Jessie's skin doesn't look much paler than her grandfather's. She turned out real cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessie is adorable. And I love that she told Cole off.
    And yeah, it's nice that Cole is finally manning up, but, looking at the roll...that's kind of a death sentence, isn't it? =P

    ReplyDelete