Saturday, April 6, 2013

1.11 - Puppy

One evening, Summer was putting Jessie Belle to bed when she got a phone call.

"Hello?"

"Summer, It's Cole. What's wrong?"

"Cole?"
"Cole! Why did it take you so long to get back to me! I called you weeks ago!"

"I was busy. I'm sorry."

"If you're sorry now just wait..."

"Can you please just tell me what all the huff is about?"

"Cole...we have a daughter."

The phone was silent. Summer waited but all she could hear was Cole breathing into the phone.

"Cole?"
"I'm still here," he murmured. 

"Cole, I need your help! I need answers. Our daughter is so pale. I need to know what to expect from your side of the family. Plus, you need to hold your daughter."
"I can be home for Christmas. I will make this right, Summer. I promise."

Summer was overjoyed. He was coming home! 
Winter was just starting so it would be a while though. Manu would be a child and Jessie Belle would already be a toddler!

"I can't wait to see you! I love you Cole."

"I love you too Summer." his voice was flat. He didn't seem all too thrilled about coming home.

Just as summer had said, Manu became a child and immediately showed his artistic side.
Jessie had her birthday too. Her skin tone seemed to have darkened a bit.
Summer loved her baby girl. She could be an extreme pain but when she is in a good mood and her mother wis near, she appears to be a complete angel.
Summer also loves her little genius. 
Manu is a responsible, smart, and amazing boy. Everyday he would do his homework and then go upstairs to paint while his mamma sculpted.
He would brush his teeth before bed, check for monsters and then ask Summer to read him to sleep.


But by no mean is he perfect. He never ate what Summer gave him. Who would when you can summon flaming cake for breakfast?

Jessie loved her toys. but her favorite was her dolly. It was her best friend...or maybe her evil minion that needed to be punished...
During lunch, Manu turned to Summer and asked a very difficult question.

"You said Jessie Belle's dad was coming soon. Does that mean he isn't my dad?"
Summer choked on her sandwich.

"Uh..Manu. He is...No Manu. You have a different dad."
"Then where is my dad? Why doesn't he ever come visit me?"

"Manu, I don't know where your father is. He doesn't even know you exist."

"But why not? Why didn't you tell him when I was born?"

"I couldn't. I don't have his phone number."

"But you could have looked!" Manu cried.
"Manu, I'm done with this conversation." 

Manu pouted. It didn't last long though. A few hours later Manu brought up the subject again.

"If I can't have a dad, can I have a puppy? They have rainbow ones at the pet store! Please!!!"
Manu was great in school. Top of his class. However, this does come with some drawbacks like not knowing who is your real friend.

Manu went over to a friends house. He didn't mind. It wouldn't take him that long to finish.
Suddenly, Drew dragged him into the bathroom and gave him a cold glare.

"I heard you're a genie," Drew spat, "Does that mean I can trap you in a bottle and you would have to do whatever I say?"

Manu suddenly became defensive. He hovered a few inched above Drew and said, "No, but it means I can put a mind control spell on you and make you do whatever I say."

Drew didn't seem too happy to be on the other side of intimidation.
Manu left but instead of going home, he stopped at the bookstore to pick up some new books.
 He bought some skill books, some kids books, a few comic books, and even a present for his mom.
"It's wonderful!" Summer sang.
"Im glad you like it Mamma. Can I have a puppy now?"

Summer went outside to check the mail. Inside was a package.
 It left Summer shocked. She was frozen. Her heart beat so fast and loud that she couldn't hear herself think.
 Finally, she took the contents and set them on the counter. Inside the metal box, were the remains of her father.
 She felt sad. She hadn't actually seen her father since she moved out in a rush. Last she knew he was going to remarry.
 "I'm sorry Daddy. I should have visited you more. I should have told you I love you more."
Summer felt exhausted  Instead of going upstairs to her bed, she drug her feet over to the rocking chair and waited for sleep to wash away the pain.



10 comments:

  1. So.... Coles coming back? Doesn't seem to happy about it, and I have this feeling that he'll say J.B isn't his because of her skin. *sigh* poor Summer.

    And the whole dad thing?! Woah, her family don't care at all, do they? Bet she's wishing she went to that party now, but she was ashamed of being pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skin shall be explained next chapter :)

    As for the party, she wasn't really ashamed of being pregnant, but she would have had to explain Manu and she doesn't believe in leaving the kids alone. (Stupid no strangers!) But she definitely regrets no attending the party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, poor Manu, wanting to know about his dad. :( I hope Summer's way of dealing with it doesn't come back and bite her in the butt later.

    And Cole...hmmm He didn't sound too excited. Maybe he's in shock, lol, but I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cole is not happy about a baby. But, he knows he has a responsibility now.

      For now, Summer's plan is to NEVER let him know (I haven't thought that part through yet) but that may be hard to do with a jillion half siblings in the town. Not kidding his dad has at least 6 children by 3 women.

      Delete
  4. I think Manu might be trying to steal the title of King of Shadows from Gemly's Geoff. That picture with him brushing his teeth... o_o

    Is it bad that after I read the line "Summer went outside to check the mail. Inside was a package." my first thought was "It's a puppy! :D"? You don't mail puppies through the mailbox, silly. -_-

    That's rough for Summer, dealing with the kids and Cole not stepping up as enthusiastically as she'd hoped, and then her dad dying on top of it all. I hope things get better for her, but I can't help but think that they'll get worse before that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha mailing puppies...No but I really do want to use these rainbow puppies I downloaded. They are so adorable! But I have no room *tear tear*

      Summer is trying her darndest. She does not enjoy being a single parent though. Every time I pan to her she is giving the camera a death glare.

      Delete
  5. Poor Summer, that's a dreadful way to discover that your father has died :(

    I'm not too happy about Cole's reaction to the baby either, I hope there's not more heartbreak ahead for Summer when he comes home

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Summer. I feel like it's always poor Summer. I hope next gen is more lucky than your founder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geesh, her family dumps everything on her! Unwanted babies, daddy's ashes... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AW, poor Russell! But at least he got away from Bessie for awhile. It's too bad Summer couldn't go to his party.

    And poor Manu, wondering about his dad. I wonder if he'll ever find out that Summer isn't his mom.

    Somehow I don't think Cole coming home is going t be as happy as Summer thinks.

    ReplyDelete