Sunday, May 5, 2013

1.19 - Protect You

Jessie had finally gathered up her courage and was going to visit the Rustler's Den. By coincidence, Christi and her father, Mikel were there too.

"Jess! I'm so glad you decided to some. I've told Daddy so much about you and he thinks you would be great for the business. He just wants to talk to you and make sure you're the real deal."
Jessie nodded and looked toward the middle-aged man. He was professional, but comfortable. He looked intimidating but still approachable. It was really weird. He watched Jessie as she approached him with an intense stare.
"Hello, Sir," she offered as she reached her hand out. "I'm Jessie Belle Rain."

Mr. Cota shook her hand, "I've heard. My daughter tells me you're interested in joining our group."
"I...ya I am. I need a way to earn some cash and all the other teen jobs are ridiculous. Where as this," she gestured to the shack next to her, "seems to be interesting and challenging."
Mr. Cota smiled "It is an interesting profession. There is always something to do. The only problem I have is that once you're in, you are never exactly out. It's a lifelong commitment, Jessie. Are you sure you're ready?"

"I like to think I am, Sir." She stared at the ground anziously. 

She hadn't actually thought about it that much. All she knew is this would mean money and money meant her own life. Life at home wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't good either. She was always ignored. First because of her perfect older brother, and then because of the twins. 
"All right, but I want you to take a look around then think on it. Call me back tomorrow and we will set up your starter position."
"Thank you, Sir." She shook his hand again and then headed inside to take a look around.
~~~~~~~~~
Summer had called Jessie at least four times and they all went straight to voicemail.

"Jessie? Please call me back. I'm worried about you. Why aren't you answering?" 
 "Okay, well your sisters and I are at the festival. I love you."
Summer was coming to a close and the park across the street was taking full advantage of the holiday.

There was skating and water balloon fights. Plenty of flowers to pick and things to play with. 
 The most popular event was the hotdog eating contest. Even Cami participated despite primitavive nature of the activity.
 In the end, Summer took first prize. In later competitions Cami and Zebrina took first. Like mother like daughter huh?
 It was late at night when Jessie came home. She was planning on going straight to bed, but Summer stopped her first.

"Jessie? I'm worried about you. You seem do distant lately. Is everything alright?"
 "Listen, I know this move was hard on you but that doesn't mean you're allowed to do whatever you like. We still have rules. Rules suck but it's my way of protecting you."
 "I know Mom. I'm sorry I didn't answer your call. I was hanging out with Christi and my phone died. I'll try and be better about following the rules."
Summer gave her daughter a hug. "Okay. No go to bed. You have school in the morning."

Jessie headed for her room and called Christi. "Tell your Dad I've made up my mind. I'll do it."


3 comments:

  1. Uh-oh! Jessie the rebel is getting a bit out of control, and now she's in it for life. I hope she's really thought about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes. A life of crime is generally not the way to go. Petty theft is one thing. But organized crime? A whole different ball game. Oh, Jessie. What have you gotten yourself into?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Mikel's coloring...it's summery. It's a little sad that Jessie feels that way, that she's ignored. Although I guess if Summer isn't worried about her staying out all night, I can see why she might feel that way, even though it's a teen's dream.

    ReplyDelete