Saturday, June 15, 2013

1.25 - Fearless

"Bye mom! I'm off to school!"

"Bye Hunny!"
Cami had successfully hidden her pregnancy from her mother for a few weeks now. She was barely showing but it was still a chore. She ate dinner after the rest of the family and would always walk past her mother only when her back was turned.

Most of the time Cami would come home and her mother would be busy  painting so Cami could just run up to her room and take the nap she desperately needed. Today however, Summer was standing outside waiting for Cami.
Summer had gotten a phone call from the school requesting that Cami attend the seminar about teenage parenting after school. 

Summer had been puzzled at first but eventually it hit her. Her baby was pregnant.
Summer had failed as a good mother and now her daughter was an unwed teenage mother. Now she had one daughter who ran off to god knows where and another with a baby in her belly. 

She stood outside in the snow and began to panic as Cami walked toward her.
"Mom? What's going on?" Cami asked.
"Cami?" Summer paused. She stared at her daughter's swollen belly. The tight dress still fit but it showed the slight bump in her abdomen.
"Are you pregnant?" she asked. Her tone sounded harsh. She had not meant to come off so strong but she couldn't help it.
"Mom! Please don't be mad. I know it was stupid. It's all my fault. Just please don't yell at me."
"Ya. I am pregnant."
 Summer took a deep breathe and fought back tears.
 "It's Daniel's baby. I lied about Drama club. I'm so sorry Momma."
 Cami hung her head and waited for her mother's screams.

Summer clentched her fists  and help back the anger. Anger wouldn't solve anything. Bessie yelled at Summer for everything but that never made Summer a better kid. It just drove her away.
 "I'm sorry too Cami. I should have taught you better. I should have talked to you more."
 "It's not your fault Mom. I made the decision to sleep with him. I wanted to. You couldn't have stopped me.  Mom, please don't cry."

Summer held her daughter in her arms. Maybe she was laying the guilt card a little too hard but at least Cami was getting the message. They were both sorry. They both made mistakes but at least Summer could help Cami through hers.
~~~~
"Hey Rosie. Thanks for letting me come by to talk to you."
"You listened to me deliver my son. I can listen to anything you need to say."
"It's Cami. She's pregnant! I feel horrible."
"Jessie ran off and I haven't heard from her since she left. She's not even in town anymore. Gosh Rosie, I'm a horrible parent."
"Shut the hell up. You are not a horrible parent. Your kid made a mistake. You can't stop your kids from making mistakes. How else are they supposed to learn?"
"I know but this is such a huge mistake!"
"It's pretty big but it's not the end of the world. Now stop and think about how scared you are. How scared do you think Cami is? Stop worrying about how you could have prevented this and help her get through it. Last thing you want to do is push her away"
"But I am scared Rosie."

"Hide it. You're a parent. You're supposed to be fearless in the face of danger."
"Okay. Thanks Rosie."

"Anytime. Call me anytime you need me okay?"

"Okay"
~~~~
"Daniel. Hi. Um, no I can't come over right now but can you meet me at the cafe? It's time to talk.
**************
Haha. That's my attempt at a cliff hanger. What will happen with Daniel? Will Summer be an adult about this? Will the baby be a fairy? Will it be only one baby? I'm not telling you!

3 comments:

  1. Ahaa nice cliffy :p

    Well, I have to say that I didn't expect Summer to go crazy. She was shouted at a lot as a child, and so she knows how little it will help things.

    Can't wait to see what Daniel says!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for Summer, she's feeling so inadequate as a parent, but I'm glad she's got someone she can turn to for advice.

    I hope Daniel's going to take the news well when Cami tells him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Summer. It's interesting that she feels responsible for Cami getting pregnant (though I completely understand the feeling).

    ReplyDelete